Tuesday 12 June 2012

Juicy Couture

There is nothing couture about this post but it sure is sour! So about 2 weeks ago when the weather was really summery in Holland I had my first attempt to make home made American Lemonade! I found a recipe on-line which was fairly easy... or so I thought.... 

It started with the fact the the recipe was in English and had US measurements... As you all know by now I am Dutch and we use Kilometers and meters to indicate distance, and grams and kilograms to indicate weight. Since I am no star at conversions it was a challenge! 

The recipe was as follows (best-lemonade-ever):  


Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups lemon juice

Directions

  1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
  2. Remove seeds from lemon juice, but leave pulp. In pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups water.
Okay so I would say a cup is a cup... but I looked up the actual conversions and here the confusion started. Apparently a cup of sugar isn't the same amount as a cup of water in EU measurements... And a cup of normal sugar has a different weight in grams than flower or brown sugare. I was amazed how difficult could it be?!!? Again a cup is a cup isn't it? So after doing some calculations I figured it out (or so I thought) and I made the lemonade. But it was too sweet for my taste, on the other hand since I never tasted the real deal I couldn't really tell if it was good or not.... 


So last weekend I decided to make it again but this time with less sugar.... and not paying any attention to the recipe and all the cups/grams/liters and so one, I decided I can make it without any help... but now it is too sour... Hmmmm I think I need to make it more often until I have it right! 


In case there are any readers who have a home made recipe PLEASE send it to me!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment